Monday 4 August 2008

Mint Tea



I arrived in Marrakesh Friday after staying up all night to catch a flight that was designed to be inconvenient: 6 am out of Luton, London's worst and most distant airport.

First up was finding a place to stay. As soon as i had dropped my bag I headed off walking to the market. Along the way, a guy with a cool hat and goofy smile struck up a conversation, and invited me to have tea with him. I smelled a con or a salesman, but figured I'd play along for a while and ended up drinking mint tea in his shop (phew, salesman). It's quite a pleasant way to finnese a customer, so after a couple of rounds of tea I did my part and haggled for a good price on a cheap trinket.

Sadly Abdule professed that he didn't do photos so I don't have a shot of the smile and hat, but I did get a good first impression of Morocco. Shows that sometimes it's worth just playing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment