Tuesday 28 October 2008

Itty-Bitty Airline Committee

I was totally baffled when I saw this Suriname Airways office in Amsterdam. Suriname has a population of less than 500,000, why on earth do they have their own national airline? I just find it hard to imagine feeling super-safe when flying an airline for a country with an annual GDP of $2.4 billion.

I’m not against developing countries having their own airlines. I’ve flown Viet Nam Airlines and Thai Airways, both of which were cheap, convenient, and comfortable. But Thailand and Viet Nam have populations of 63 million and 86 million respectively, so it totally makes sense to me that they have small airline companies that fly around the country and to some regional destinations.

I’m a bit baffled about these little airlines, so I’m going to try and get an expert to explain these little national airlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment