Monday 3 November 2008

Ryanair = Wal Mart?

I’d heard some rumors about Ryanair starting to run flights from NY to London, but this weekend brought even more news: they’ll be going from multiple US cities to multiple European cities.

Of course I’m excited for this news. I like Ryanair. I like that I get a cheaper flight if I don’t check a bag, check-in online, and can tolerate an airplane that has all non-advertising weight trimmed. But the news that they are spreading brings a nagging thought to me that they are turning into the Wal Mart of the skies – which would suck. Are they going to drive down quality and worker’s compensation and rights across the board?

I have enough traveler guilt knowing how much damage flying does to the environment. Do I also need to start worrying about flying an airline that will drive mom and pop carriers out of business and degrade the quality of air travel in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment