Wednesday 29 October 2008

Don’t Fiddle with Gadgets

This doesn’t fit very well with my recent revelation that I should be taking a laptop if I want to blog on the go, but I have to agree with Chris Pirillo on his final tip for keeping your laptop safe while traveling:

Just Leave The Laptop At Home: When it comes to all of the hassles and all of the issues that can arise from traveling with your laptop, you should also consider whether you really need to take it. You can carry your data or files on portable storage such as a CD, DVD or USB drive, or you can just email or FTP the data ahead of you. Then, you can borrow a desktop or laptop system once you are safely on the ground and at the office site you are visiting.

I would even expand this tip to include most gadgets. Outside of the obligatory camera, you can largely do without the standard set of toys you have at home. For example, I sit at my desk at work with earphones on, but while on the road I leave my music behind, opting for the sounds of where I am, and skipping the hassle of carry an expensive mp3 player.

H/t Lifehacker.

No comments:

Post a Comment