Wednesday 29 October 2008

It’s Going to Be a Wee Bit Wetter

In Amsterdam, I couldn’t help thinking about how the city – and the rest of the Netherlands – is going to be royally screwed by rising sea levels. To get a sense of just how screwed, check out the nifty visualizer that NASA and Cal Tech put together.

Of course that got me thinking about prioritizing traveling to the places that are going to underwater or otherwise devastated thanks to climate change. I’m pretty bummed that I didn’t get to New Orleans before it was flattened by Katrina, and I would hate to have the same feeling about other great destinations. It seems I’m not the only person fretting about this, as in the midst of my musing I stumbled upon a new Frommer’s book about the top 500 disappearing destinations. Might be worth checking it out if you’re worried that some great cultural legends might be gone by the time you get there.

In the end though, there isn’t too much use to simply worrying about it. I just need to get my butt to Venice.

No comments:

Post a Comment